September Is Campus Fire Safety Month
 
By Fire Chief Danielle Rose
September 16, 2017
 

The beginning of a new term means classes, homework, friends, and parties. With such hectic lives, students often don't pay attention to one thing that could kill them: accidental fires. As a new semester begins at Clarkson University and SUNY Potsdam, the Potsdam Fire Department reminds students to take action to protect themselves and their friends from fire.

91 fatal fires have been documented that occurred on a college campus, in Greek housing or in off-campus housing within 3-miles of the campus – claiming a total of 128 victims:
• 78 fires have occurred in off-campus housing claiming 109 victims
• 7 fires have occurred in on-campus building or residence halls claiming 9 victims
• 6 fires have occurred in Greek housing claiming 10 victims
Of the 91 fires documented:
• 14 were intentionally set claiming 22 victims
• 38 were accidental – includes cooking, candles, smoking or electrical claiming 51 victims
• 39 of the fires the cause was never determined – or the cause was not available at press time. These fires claimed 55 victims.

This is one reason why the state of New York has declared September as Campus Fire Safety Month.

Common Factors in Student-Related Fires

Many fatal fires involving college students have four common elements: missing or disabled smoke alarms, careless disposal of smoking materials, alcohol consumption, and lack of automatic sprinkler systems.
Carelessly disposed of cigarettes are the leading causes of fatal fires in all residences, including rental properties where college students may live, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). Students also can fall victim to fires started by open flames such as candles.
Drinking alcohol is common on college campuses. Studies show alcohol decreases inhibition and impairs judgment, which can increase a student's risk of not waking to the sound of a smoke alarm and perhaps not surviving a fire. The NFPA also found that more than 60% of adults killed or injured in smoking-material residential fires were either asleep or possibly impaired by alcohol. In addition, the NFPA says that while most homes and apartments, including rental properties, have smoke alarms, nearly 40 percent don't work, often due to dead or missing batteries.

How to Help Prevent Fires

The Potsdam Fire Department urges parents and college students to remember these fire safety tips when heading off to school:
* - Install UL-listed smoke alarms in every room of an apartment or rental home. Battery-powered wireless smoke alarms, such as the Kiddie Wireless System, use radio frequency technology to link together so that when one alarm sounds, all of the alarms sound. This immediate response helps provide early warning no matter where the fire starts, giving more time to escape.
* - Test smoke alarms monthly and replace batteries as needed.
* - Look for housing that is equipped with automatic fire sprinkler systems. Not every residence hall or rental property has them.
* - Know two ways out of every building. A fire escape ladder, such as one offered by Kiddie, can provide an alternate exit from second or third floor rooms.
* - Properly dispose of smoking materials in ashtrays. After parties, check the cushions on couches and chairs for smoldering cigarettes.
* - Purchase a fire extinguisher and learn how to use it BEFORE a fire breaks out.
* - Use UL-listed extension cords and electrical appliances properly. Don't overload electrical outlets.
* - If the residence has fossil-fuel burning appliances, such as a gas stove or furnace, install UL-listed carbon monoxide alarms on every floor and near sleeping areas.
* - Never leave candles unattended and keep them away from items that could easily catch fire. Be sure to put out candles before going to bed.

For more information about campus fire safety, including a safety checklist, please visit http://www.campusfiresafety.org

 
Dorm room fire on Clarkson Campus in March
Dorm room fire on Clarkson Campus in March
Dorm room fire on Clarkson Campus in march. Cause of the fire was from a grease fire.
Dorm room fire on Clarkson Campus in march. Cause of the fire was from a grease fire.
 
Potsdam Fire helps SUNY Potsdam demonstrate how quickly a dorm room can engulf in flames

*Photo Courtesy of SUNY Potsdam
Potsdam Fire helps SUNY Potsdam demonstrate how quickly a dorm room can engulf in flames *Photo Courtesy of SUNY Potsdam
Firefighters J. Bradish and D. Monahan extinguish the mock dorm room

*Photo Courtesy of SUNY Potsdam
Firefighters J. Bradish and D. Monahan extinguish the mock dorm room *Photo Courtesy of SUNY Potsdam
 
*Photo Courtesy of SUNY Potsdam
*Photo Courtesy of SUNY Potsdam
Students were able to enter the room and find all the fire safety hazards.

*Photo Courtesy of SUNY Potsdam
Students were able to enter the room and find all the fire safety hazards. *Photo Courtesy of SUNY Potsdam