Potsdam Fire Helps Participate in Resident Assistant Fire Safety Training on Campuses
 
By Fire Chief Danielle Rose
August 22, 2018
 

On Friday August 17, 2018 and Monday August 20, 2018, the members of the Potsdam Fire Department took part in helping raise awareness to the new and returning Residents Assistants at both SUNY Potsdam and Clarkson University on the importance of doing dorm room checks, what to look for in each room for fire safety violations, and what exactly it looks like when trying to find your way out of a smoke filled room.

The Potsdam Fire Department participates in this activity once a year to help our local colleges out all while educating as many people as we can on the importance of fire safety.

As September approaches and is the Campus Fire Safety month, the Potsdam Fire Department will be participating in many more activities on our local campuses. We strongly urge our community to stop by and watch the demos that will be on display.

SUNY Potsdam: September 18, SUNY Potsdam will be holding a MOCK Dorm Burn. This will start at noon and will be located behind the Barrington Student Union. The MOCK Dorm Burn stimulates what happens to a dorm room if it catches fire. It also shows just how quick the fire will grow and just how little time you have to exit a building during a fire.
The Office of Fire Protection and Control will also have their State Fire Safety Trailer on the premises on Monday September 17th and Tues September 18th.


Clarkson University: On September 11, 2018, from 6PM-7:30PM, Clarkson University will be holding an Emergency Responder Day. During this time there will be live extrication demo of a vehicle taking place. The location will be in Lot 10 (near Moorehouse Dorm and the Student Center).
Also on September 12th at 6:30PM, Clarkson University will be holding a MOCK Dorm Burn. The location of this will be in Lot 10 also.

 
No Caption
Firefighter Jacob Giles is also a student attending Clarkson University. Jacob is a great assets to our firehouse when he is here for college
Firefighter Jacob Giles is also a student attending Clarkson University. Jacob is a great assets to our firehouse when he is here for college
 
No Caption
No Caption
 
Fire Safety Violation:Candle in a dorm
Fire Safety Violation:Candle in a dorm
Fire Safety Violation: A power strip with another multiple strip plugged into it along with string lights, which are not aloud on campus housing
Fire Safety Violation: A power strip with another multiple strip plugged into it along with string lights, which are not aloud on campus housing
 
Fire Safety Violation: String lights hanging from the ceiling along with a bag covering the smoke detector
Fire Safety Violation: String lights hanging from the ceiling along with a bag covering the smoke detector
Fire Safety Violation: Multiple appliances plugged into a power strip. This is also very dangerous to do in your own homes! Also hot plates and toasters are not allowed on campus housing
Fire Safety Violation: Multiple appliances plugged into a power strip. This is also very dangerous to do in your own homes! Also hot plates and toasters are not allowed on campus housing