|Carbon Monoxide Incident on River Road|
|By Fire Driver Mark Maroney|
|April 26, 2021|
On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 1603 hours, Potsdam Rescue was dispatched to 122 River Road for a report of a 57 year old male who was unconscious. The caller stated they could smell something strange at the residence. At 1611 hours, Potsdam Fire was dispatched to the location. The homeowner had returned home to find a male who was working on the house passed out in the basement. The home owner was able to remove the male subject from the basement to the first floor.
At 1614 hours, Engine 80 (J. Keleher) responded and arrived on scene at 1618 hours. Once on scene, firefighters with assistance from the NYSP and homeowner were able to remove the male subject outside the residence. Firefighters then provided the male subject with oxygen until Potsdam Rescue arrived on scene to provided patient care. The patient was transported to Canton-Potsdam Hospital by Potsdam Rescue.
Firefighters wearing SCBA entered the residence with a multi gas meter, and got a reading of carbon monoxide. Firefighters then descended into the basement of the residence where the multi gas meter detected a relatively large amount of carbon monoxide. Firefighters shut the furnace off and provided ventilation at the residence with exhaust fans. Merriman's was requested to respond to the address. At 1720 hours, Potsdam Fire was back in service.
|Units:||Engine 80 (J. Keleher), Rescue 14 (C. Corbett)|