Overheated Motor at VA Clinic
By Fire Driver Mark Maroney
April 4, 2022

On Monday, April 4th, 2022 at 1339 hours, Potsdam Fire responded to the VA Clinic at 201 Market Street for a report of an electrical odor. Engine 49, chauffeured by Paid Driver Bob Crowe, responded and arrived on scene at 1344 hours. Upon arrival, a light smell of smoke was present in the building. Firefighters used a 24 foot ground ladder to gain access to the roof, where it was found that an electric motor in an air handler unit had overheated. Upon investigation, it was found that insulation had come loose inside the air handler unit which restricted the air flow and caused the motor to overheat. Firefighters were able to turn the power off to the motor and turn it over to building maintenance. Potsdam Fire was in service at 1436 hours.

Units: Engine 49 (B. Crowe)